I am a seasoned researcher with a PhD in chemical engineering, currently working as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Birmingham. I have worked on projects in both Europe and China, as well as in collaboration with a number of UK Universities, managing several research projects and students.
My current interests include second generation biofuels, waste-to-energy and techno economic modelling of energy systems, which I have explored during two of my most recent projects for:
- Democritus University of Thrace – Process simulation, optimisation, and economic feasibility study, of biogas for energy production, using a commercial steam turbine vs fuel cells, with Aspen Plus (2017).
- Sheffield University – Process modeling to investigation of the feasibility of a proposed waste to energy plant, with Aspen HYSYS (2015).
Work with Industry
In addition to my research interests I am an experienced bioenergy consultant specializing in thermochemical conversion technologies, with a strong background in biomass and biofuels. I have previously worked with C.A.R.E. Ltd. and Lee Enterprises Consulting Ltd. as part of their Emerging Technologies and Renewable Chemicals groups.
In addition to consultancy I have previously worked for:
- Recycling Technologies – Developing fluidised bed pyrolysis technology for converting plastic waste into a heavy fuel substitute, and establishing both design and operating parameters, for a commercial scale system (2013-2015).
- Future Blends – Working on a novel and cost-effective pyrolysis-based process, for production of transport fuels, from waste biomass (2012-2013).
My areas of expertise include the design and operation of fluidised bed pyrolysis reactors, process design and modelling, techno economic modelling, project management, PFD, P&ID, HAZOP and analytical chemistry. I am experienced with Aspen HYSYS/Plus, AUTOCAD and; analytical equipment and software such as TGA, GC/MS, Varian and Perkin Elmer Software.
Qualifications and Certifications
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Chemical engineering, Bio-fuels, Fast pyrolysis – Aston University (UK) 2011
- Bachelor and Masters Degree – Mechanical Engineer in Management of Renewable Energy Resources – University of Western Macedonia, (Greece) 2007
- Aspen HYSYS: Dynamics: Introduction to Dynamic Modelling – AspenTech (UK) 2015
- Aspen HYSYS: Process Modelling Course – AspenTech (UK) 2014
- A review on the current state of the art for the production of advanced liquid biofuels. AIMS Energy, vol. 7, p. 46 (2019). Antzela Fivga, Lais Galileu Speranza, Carolina Musse Branco, Miloud Ouadi, Andreas Hornung. [pdf]
- Pyrolysis of plastic waste for production of heavy fuel substitute: A techno-economic assessment. Energy, vol. 149, p.865-874 (2018). Fivga, A. Dimitriou, I.
- Effects of Torrefaction on the Physicochemical Characteristics of Sawdust and Rice Husk and Their Pyrolysis Behavior by Thermogravimetric Analysis and Pyrolysis–Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. Energy and Fuels, vol. 31, no. 2, p.1544–1554 (2017). Cai, W. Fivga, A. Kaario, O. and Liu, R. [pdf]
- Numerical Comparison of the Drag Models of Granular Flows Applied to the Fast Pyrolysis of Biomass. Energy and Fuels, vol. 24, no. 3, p.2133-2145 (2010). Papadikis, S. Gu, Fivga, A. and Bridgwater, A. V.
- Evaluation of various biomass types for suitability for fast pyrolysis processing. Bioten Conference, Birmingham, UK, (2010).Fivga, A., Bridgwater, A. V.
- Understanding Biofuel Standards. Biofuels Digest, (2016). Fivga, A. Mayer, Z.